About John Brearley
Here are a few notes about me:
- Retired in 2012 from career in high tech,
- Got involved with Habitat For Humanity, with focus on Indigenous build projects
- In 2014, spent 2 weeks at Duck Lake, SK teaching plumbing to residents of Willow Cree Healing Lodge for
construction of a house in Duck Lake.
- In 2015, spent another 2 weeks in Duck Lake building another house, again teaching plumbing to
Willow Cree Healing Lodge residents.
- In 2016, started finding resources available to Saskatchewan Indigenous community to help with healing
lodge residents transition back to community.
- In 2017, my wife & I sponsored a former healing lodge resident at the Saskatoon Meewasinota halfway
house for a 6 month welding course at SIIT.
- He graduated at the end of June, probably number 1 or 2 in his class, very motivated to succeed.
- He now has a full time job in Saskatoon.
- Provided bursaries to welding students at SIIT in 2018 & 2019.
- Since 2016, collected lists of job skills funding resources for all provinces & territories
- Contacted hundreds of support groups to share resource lists.
- Currently helping Quebec & Maritimes support groups get up to speed on available resources.
John Brearley, 613-259-5622, firstname.lastname@example.org